Member Comments

• Reply to: Collaborative course January-May 2016   5 years 1 week ago

Hi Gabe,

My students are being asked to write 2 posts on gender (one analyzing a sexist ad, another critically reviewing an article that deals with masculinity in some way). They will also be asked to do 2 comments. The instructions have already been distributed, so I can't tell them specifically to comment on work done by your students, but I can strongly encourage it. Comment dates are February 19 and April 8. The class is a World Views at Marianopolis and there are 2 sections.

Sarah Waurechen

• Reply to: White teacher with black boyfriend leads to no job   5 years 3 months ago

To start on a good note this article had good descriptive passages. Also it brings very important issues and the choice of this horrible story is perfect to put the spotlight on them. However this article only points one of the issues, racism, but forget the other one, gender and in this particular situation both are incredibly linked together. In my opinion! I do not think the same thing would have happened if this teacher was a men dating a black women. Maybe it would but giving the world we live in I doubt it. Women are usually more of a target to oppression than men. Also they suffer from a lot of discrimination in their everyday life, in politics, in the economy, in their workplace and in many other things. What I try to point out is that this story is more about a gender problem and I say so only because the victim is the women and not her boyfriend. It is not her boyfriend that loses is job at the end! Yes she is bullied and discriminate because she as a black boyfriend but even more because she is a “she” that as a black boyfriend. Therefore the “white she” in the American ideal should date “a good white straight American man”. To conclude this professional women is a victim like many others of the view that her work is less valuable and that is why her employers and colleagues allowed themselves to act like they did. Finally this article was shocking and it was a wise choice to capture the attention of the readers and point out issues of inequalities. However it would have been great if you had included the gender problem of this situation.
    Ps: if you are interested in more article of issues of women in the work place here is a great link!

• Reply to: PETA sexist advertising   5 years 4 months ago

Hi! Interesting post, but there seems to be an issue with the hyperlink. Hopefully this one will help your readers find the images they're looking for: http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-01-28/peta-made-me-do-it-the-7-types-of-se...

• Reply to: Playing With Our Food   5 years 11 months ago

Hello!
    It's great to see such a detailed discussion of methodology! Trying to figure out how to collect and analyze information is an incredibly important task when analyzing these issues.

To me, however, the comment made by ProvocativeTrash, also raises questions about the style of argumentation. It reminds me of the debates we're having about vaccines, in that both sides are now so passionate that people are talking past one another. Are some styles of debate more productive than others? And how do we move forward, when people disagree so passionately?

Great conversation so far! I look forward to reading more.

• Reply to: Media Ethics at Marianopolis/NewsActivist at Champlain   5 years 12 months ago

Greetings to anyone waiting for the first posts from my students. This is just a warning that my school had an unexpected closure, so 2 of my 3 sections are delayed in their posts by just a few days. It's all still coming, but there will be a slight time-lag! Looking forward to the great conversations,

Sarah

• Reply to: Media Ethics at Marianopolis/NewsActivist at Champlain   6 years 6 days ago

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately, as I told Gabe, I've already distributed my syllabus so can no longer add/change stuff, but you're welcome to hop on board and get your students commenting. I will let them know to keep an eye out and tell them to consider your class (if you give me the details) for leaving comments as well.

Sarah

• Reply to: Media Ethics at Marianopolis/NewsActivist at Champlain   6 years 1 week ago

Hi Gabe,

Unfortunately May 8 is the end of term and my students are writing exams May 6-8. Also, my syllabi and assignment lists have already been distributed :( So I can make minor changes, but nothing large like dates or scale. If you want, I can direct them to comment more generally instead of on the abstracts, but that's about all I can do at this point in time.

Sarah

• Reply to: Hormones In Men Decrease, Possible Reason For VIolence?   6 years 2 months ago

you probably won't read this because classes are almost done but this is my response to you, yeah even though the issue of the man box is trying to be avoided, I don;t believe it will truly subside. it's deep into the roots of our nature, instincts in other words. its a form of dominance from how I see it and because of this it will always remain a part of humanity. though hope for a better way of viewing each other, violence surrounds us one way or another much like our rape culture or inequality. from what you may know, the world tries to take on too many problems at once. I dont see humanity evolving very much consequently due to hidden agendas that aren't mentioned nor shared with our society.

• Reply to: Do same sex couples have the right to adopt children?   6 years 2 months ago

I thought that your article was interesting and that adoption for a non-heterosexual couple is a topic that brings many arguments to the table. A child will always need a female and a male role model in their lives because both genders have different ways of thinking and of viewing the world, but I do not think that a child must have a parent of each sex. A role model does not necessarily have to be your parent. It could be a teacher, an aunt or even a neighbor. Even if a child is raised in a home where both his parents are men or women, the child could find the missing gender related state of mind elsewhere. The most important thing you can offer a child is love. It does not matter whether the parents are from the same sex or not. It may be true that same sex couples do not last long, but the same thing could be said about heterosexual couples. There is a high rate of divorces in our society and many couples are affected no matter their sexual orientation. Keep up the good work.

Here is a link to an interesting article entitled Adoption by Gay and Lesbian Parents:

• Reply to: Racism in sports: NBA team owner's racist comments   6 years 2 months ago

I wasn’t aware of this issue before reading your post and found it very interesting because it is about sports. For me, this is not only about racism. David Sterling told his girlfriend that he would prefer that she spent time with black people in private rather than in public, and it is because his girlfriend is seeing Magic Johnson in basketball games. But what if his girlfriend was watching a basketball game with a Black girl? Will Donald Sterling still be mad at his girlfriend? In our class, we learned about men’s behaviour. Some men are very sensitive when it comes to their loved ones, especially with their girlfriends. Some men do not want other boys to talk to their girlfriends or flirt with them. In Donald Sterling’s case, he does not want anyone to be on top of him. He has this kind of white male superiority complex. It is also possible that he just wants to protect his girlfriend. While I was trying to look for some links that will help me understand this post, I saw this news about Donald Sterling telling Magic Johnson that he should be ashamed of being HIV-positive and suggesting that he has not financially supported minority communities. (The link is at the bottom of my comment).